Terms & Conditions
By entering the 1-Minute Film Competition 2022 (‘Competition’), competition entrants (‘Entrant’/‘Entrants’) agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions. Failure to abide by these terms and conditions may render an Entrant ineligible for the Competition.
Entrants must submit their entries (‘Entry’/‘Entries’) via the 1-Minute Film Competition 2022 entry system (‘Entry System’). Any entry form or supporting materials received via any other method shall be destroyed and will not be considered a valid submission.
All Entries must follow the entry guidelines and Entrants must ensure they meet the eligibility criteria for their chosen category, as outlined on Step 1 of the Entry System.
Please double-check your files before submitting your Entry. If we cannot view your submission, we will be unable to judge your film.
The Entry System operates through Vimeo and most video files should be accepted. However, if you run into any difficulties uploading your footage, Vimeo’s compression guidelines are available at help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056550451 (some info from this page is listed below), and uploading resources are available at help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/categories/201496018-Uploading-to-Vimeo. Preferred formats are summarised below.
Codec: Vimeo accepts most major video codecs, but for best results they recommend using H.264 or H.265 (HEVC).
Frame rate: Try to maintain the video’s native frame rate when compressing your video and opt to use a ‘constant’ frame rate. Frame rates above 60 FPS will be automatically reduced.
Bit rate: Also known as the data rate, this controls the video’s visual quality and will affect its file size accordingly. Opt for a ‘variable’ bit rate. Feel free to experiment with lower bit rates if your file is too large.
Resolution: Common resolutions for standard definition (SD) video include 640 × 480 px (4:3 aspect ratio) and 640 × 360 px (16:9 aspect ratio). High definition (HD) video is usually formatted at 720p (1280 × 720 px) or 1080p (1920 × 1080 px). Higher resolutions such as QHD/1440p (2560 × 1440 px) and 4K/2160p (3840 × 2160 px) are becoming more common.
Audio: The AAC-LC codec, at 320 kbit/s and 48 kHz (maximum), is recommended.
- To be eligible for the Competition, Entrants must complete the online entry form and submit their film as described in points 1 and 2 (above) by the close of entries: midday AEST, Friday 29 July 2022. Entrants must also upload a minimum of three (3) still images from their film by this time. We recommend completing your entry submission earlier, to allow for unforeseen issues that may arise.
- The competition is only open to students of primary or secondary schooling age (ages 4–19) during 2022. All Entrants must be Australian or New Zealand residents. Employees of ATOM and its affiliates (as well as their immediate family members, e.g. sibling, child) are ineligible.
- Entries may be in any language or have no dialogue at all. Non-English audio (or important on-screen text) must have English subtitles.
- Each film may only be submitted once. Entrants may submit multiple Entries, as long as each Entry differs significantly from any others submitted by that Entrant.
- All films entered must have been made specifically for the 2022 Competition. All Entries must have been completed between 10 March 2022 and 29 July 2022.
ATOM reserves the right to use Entry content (including all or part of any film submitted by an Entrant) in any manner they choose. Submission of an Entry constitutes consent by the Entrant for ATOM to use the content in this way and also to use the Entrant’s name and photo for publicity purposes.
Entries become the property of ATOM. The non-exclusive worldwide rights for all media submitted must be available for five (5) years for use by ATOM.
All copyright, moral rights and rights of personality for all content, including music and actors, must be cleared. Failure to clear these rights will result in removal of the Entry from consideration in the competition.
ATOM takes no responsibility for any failure by an Entrant to obtain the necessary authorisations. Entrants warrant that their Entries (and any material contained in their Entries, including, but not limited to, any image or footage) do not infringe the intellectual property rights or any other rights of any person. Entrants (or their parents/guardians) will fully indemnify ATOM against any loss, costs, expenses, demands or liability, whether direct or indirect, arising out of a claim by a third party or another party.
- The Competition judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into regarding the judging process or any outcomes reached.
- ATOM and its affiliates, as well as their respective directors, officers and employees, shall assume no liability resulting from losses, delays, mistaken addresses on email received, typographical errors, technical, computer or telephone malfunctions, loss or theft of computer or telephone data, damage to software or computer equipment, fraudulent calls or any other mistake.
- All personal information, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address and age, is collected solely for the purposes of administering this Competition and shall not be used for any other purpose without your consent. By providing this information, you consent to it being used by ATOM and its affiliates for the stated purposes.